I’ve been looking for a simple black rashguard that has a timeless style making it easy to match to any boardshort while also providing sun protection and comfort. That is why I grabbed one of Hurley’s Pro Compression long sleeve rashguard tops. Below is my review for this product, feel free to watch the video on YouTube as well.
IN THE WATER
Overall, the Hurley Pro Compression long sleeve rashguard functions as expected. It is very very very tight (which is par for the course) but allows full range of motion in the water too. It also dries quickly. It basically gets the job done.
MY FAVORITE ASPECTS
- NECK: The stitch-free Neck line is EPIC. No choking or rashes here. This is my favorite aspect of this product. The neckline is made with a thicker glued on material rather than traditional stitching. It is also a lower cut, which reduces the pressure on the users neck. This is really what sets this rashguard apart from others on the market.
- SUN PROTECTION: UPF 50 (Ultraviolet Protection Factor) rating means no need for sunscreen… kinda. A garment with a UPF of 50 only allows 1/50th of the UV radiation falling on the surface of the garment to pass through it. I prefer to toss this on if I am in a rush and don’t have the ability to lube up with sunscreen.
- COLOR: I like the plain black colorway!
- STYLE: The various Hurley logos make the unshowy garment look stylish.
FACTORS WORTH CONSIDERING
- SIZE & FIT: I would suggest ordering at least one size up from your unisex/ generic T-shirt size.
- COLORS: I like the Black, but I look forward to more colorways. Maybe Navy? Maroon? Army Green? What about deeeeeeeep purple like the super hero The PHANTOM. Whoa that would be sick.
- LACE HOOP: I wish there was a way to tie this to your boardshorts with a small lace hoop. I think this wouldn’t cost a lot to add, but greatly increase the value for money.
- LOGOS: It would be cool is the garment had motivational slogans rather than just the Hurley logos. For example, I think it would be sick if the sleeve said Just SHred It! (with a little Hurley logo for the H) rather than the current Hurley H. I mean, the logos are cool, but it would make me feel less like a billboard. In general I think this would be a cool concept for all of Hurley’s compression clothing. Or maybe even just a T-shirt. Just Do It Hurley (Nike)!
- Overall Score: 9/10. This rashguard is a staple for any surfers closet quiver. I believe the Hurley Pro Compression sets a new standard for the classic long sleeve rashguard. It is simple, clean, well made, and comfortable. You cant really can’t go wrong here as long as you get the right size.
- Fabric: 9/10. 82% polyester/18% spandex. You can expect this to be a comfortable and durable material in the long run. It has a little less stretch than a standard Nylon rashie would, but will be more durable and drag/sag less.
- Comfort: 10/10. Note, this is very, very, very tight, but it is supposed to be.
- Weight: 10/10. This weight 6.6 ounces, this is similar to the weight of a standard board short.
- Style: 10/10. This is a snazzy rash guard covered in logos. I would call this a timeless piece.
- Size/ Fit: 8/10. These are really tight. I am 5’7″ 150 lbs. and I ordered a medium which is my generic T shirt size. It fits well, but slightly cuts into my arm pits. I probably should have ordered a large. I would suggest that you order at least one size larger than your generic T-shirt size.
- Value for Money: 10/10. The price on this is higher than what most people would want to pay for a rashguard, but you are really getting a lot of bang for your buck. The neck line alone is worth the extra money. The overall quality materials and construction makes the Pro Compression worth the $70.00 price point.