Chubbies. Potentially the frattiest boardshort ever made. Probably said by somebody, somewhere. Now I have a pair.
These really are a pre-requisite for a day filled with high 5s, beers, and bad decisions. Here is what I really like about my Chubbies Los Calientes Boardshorts.
My Favorite Aspects
- Fabric: The 90% Polyester 10% Spandex blend is super stretchy and breathable. The fabric is slightly heavier than most surf fabrics, and may take longer to dry, but it really isn’t a big deal.They still weight under 8 ounces, which is comparable to Lululemons THE boardshort (which also features 2 side pockets and a back pocket).
- Pockets: I love the two side pockets and the back zipper pocket. They have plenty of storage: I was able to cram 7 beers in my pair.
- Zipper Fly: This is definitely more of a casual boardshort, so having the fly will make it easier when you need to take a wizzz off of the back of your friends yacht. or dads yacht. or front. or whatever. Its fine.
- Style: I appreciate Chubbies punny millenial steez. The colors on the Los Calientes are pretty wild. I feel more fashionable in these than my standard surf boardshorts.
- Length: This is actually more of a maybe for me. I think the length of these adds to the humor, but I do wish they were a little longer. Whomever convinced these guys that chicks like short shorts is a real jokester. The fact of the matter is, it takes a level of confidence to wear shorts like this, and chicks do like confidence… But I would still bet they like it better in something other than short shorts.
- Liner: The built in liner is more comfortable than I would have expected. You barely feel it and it keeps your garden hose contained.
Things to Consider
- Fit: This is a fixed waist short that is trying not to be. Just be really Chubbies and size these like you mean it. They come in sizes S, M, L, XL.. and so on. They really ought to be 30, 32, 34, 36. They have a bit too much stretch in the waist band. They probably did this so bros could pull down their shorts and show off the choach. Either way, the size scale on their website seems accurate enough. I ordered a size S and normally wear a 30 and they get the job done.
- No Key Loop: Key loops are a standard in most boardshorts, having one in the back pocket would be the icing on the cake for me.
- Price: I think the price would be a little better if it was under the $60 mark. With that said, these are really well constructed.
Overall, I would give these a 9/10. I think they are incredibly comfortable and functional. They wont be my first choice for surfing, but I will put them to good use for fun in the sun.